security level flags...

Fabio Iovine f_iovine at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 28 17:28:53 GMT 1999

I followed almost step by step Stephen's suggesions but I wasn't able to
have samba working the way I need.
The following is what I put in my smb.conf file.

#================== Global Settings ==========================
[global]

  workgroup = Rm-Soluzioni
  server string = Samba Server
  guest account = pcguest
  security = user
  log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
  max log size = 50
  encrypt passwords = yes
  username map = /usr/local/samba19/lib/users.map
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  os level = 33
  preserve case = no
  wins support = no

#================== Share Definitions ==============================
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

[nvod]
   comment = Nvod's Service
   path = /home/nvod
   valid users = nvod
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[tmp] is, of course, the public dir while [nvod] is the nvod's home dir for
which I want to grant access to nvod only.

My /usr/local/samba19/lib/users.map file says:
nvod = Administrator admin
and I've run the following command to generate the smbpasswd file:
cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /usr/local/samba19/private/smbpasswd
as it is written in docs/ENCRYPTION.txt file.

The result instead, after I start smbd & nmbd daemons is that I'm requested
to provide login and password to access to the whole and not only to the
user home dir; also, I cannot connect to nvod neither with root's login and
password nor with nvod's ones...

I have no idea...

Thanks for any help,
Fabio