Joining an NT domain?

Paul Lantinga PLantinga at extend.com
Tue Jul 27 16:24:37 GMT 1999

> > I've run into some problems adding a Unix server to an NT domain.  I've
> > followed the instructions in DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt; when running the
> > smbpasswd command:
> >
> >   ./bin/smbpasswd -j CS-NT -r CS-NTS1
> >
> > I get the following errors:
> >
> >   modify_trust_password: machine CS-NTS1 rejected the session setup.
Error
> >   was : code 131.
> >   1999/07/26 11:36:37 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
> >   password for domain CS-NT.
> >   Unable to join domain CS-NT.

I've run into many similar problems and have beat them (mostly).  Anyway,
try checking the /usr/local/samba/private directory.  You should see 2 files
in there, one called MACHINE.SID and another of the name format
DOMAINNAME.MACHINENAME.mac.  Delete these files.  As mentioned in previous
postings, ensure that you've created the machine acct in server manager
*and* that the samba daemons are not currently running.

If needed, delete the machine name under server manager, wait a bit, re-add
it, delete the contents of private, and then try adding it with smbpasswd
again.

Hope that helps.

--
Paul LANtinga