Permissions issue

Charles Homan charles at opustel.com
Tue Jul 27 16:59:02 GMT 1999

Greetings:

I couldn't find this one in the archive:

What we want to do here is make it so a non-owning user can map a drive, but
not see anything below the top level.  However, if they know the exact
pathname to a file, they should be able to open it.  In Unix, we do this
with file permissions like:

drwx--x--x  foo

drwx--x--x  foo/bar

-rwxr--r--  foo/bar/foobar

So the owner can do anything with either of the directories or the file
foobar, but anyone else can only directly open the file foobar (if they know
it is there) by doing something like "cat foo/bar/foobar".  They can from
the directory above foo see, and cd to, "foo", but if they do an "ls" they
won't see anything.

However, when I shared up this directory structure with samba, I am not
allowed to do something like "type foo\bar\foobar" - it gives a "permission
denied" error.

Am I missing something?  Is this behavior possible to replicate in NT?  If
so, how do I get samba to do it?

Thanks!
/charles

Charles Homan