security level flag...

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Thu Jul 22 15:52:02 GMT 1999

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:07:10 +1000, hai scritto:

>user's login & password before providing access to grant privacy but wants
>no password for the public one: is this possible?
yes

>I tried setting security mode to user (security = user) in the global
>settings thinkig this would make the server working the required way for the
>home's...well, it didn't...I mean I was asked to provide login and password
You don't say which clients you are using, so, in general:
- win pc's give samba the username and passwd you use to logon to MSNetworks.
- if samba knows about these usernames and passwords, then users access their
homedirs without any password prompt.
- if win usernames are different from samba/unix usernames then you need to
use username map
- if you use a recent ver of win95, win98 or winnt4sp3 than you need to read
ENCRYPTION.txt (samba docs).

>but no one worked, neither root's login & password, nor the user's one...
>can someone help me telling which flag to set to have what my client asks?
>can I put "security = user" just under global settings or can I move it
global settings.

For the public folder, there are various approaches, the simpler is to make
the folder "guest ok" and use "force user" and "force group" parameter.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it