MS Word from samba share

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Jul 20 20:18:33 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Brian Salter-Duke
<b_duke at lacebark.ntu.edu.au> carved some runes like this:

> Does anyone know what error 1025 is? It might throw some light
> on the problem.

It's probably listed in the win95 resource kit; if you want I can
send you the RK stuff in a (humongous) .hlp file.

> Apart from that does anyone have any other thoughts?

Yeah, AIX is kindof brain-dead (else, why would IBM be porting
linux to the RS-6000?).  You could get rid of it...

> Excel files do exactly the same. They work on Dec alpha and fail
> on RS6000. However html files and files with extension for a
> browser pluggin fire up internet explorer and display fine. If I
> click on a *.txt file on the RS6000 share, it asks me for an
> application and if I select MS Word it works fine. It is just the
> *.doc and *.xls files that fail and then only in the RS6000 case.
> I can see no relevent differences between the two machines.

Are the file/dir permissions the same on the Alpha and AIX shares?
Are both versions of samba the same?

It doesn't sound like the Word file-saving problem; did you compile
the samba stuff yourself, or are you running pre-built binaries?
You could try compiling the AIX samba code with different
options/flags.  Wasn't there some makefile or source code mod
needed for AIX?

HTH, Steve