Print filters when sending jobs to windows printer?

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Jul 20 20:18:33 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Ryan Robinson <nebulous at inconnect.com>
carved some runes like this:

[snip]
> The relevent tidbit of smbprint... how the heck should I modify
> this? (feel free to edit in the reply)

I have two different smbprint scripts; I think the older one is
being used (but I'm still running RH4.2 and samba 1.9.18p8 here).
The RedHat printtool has a nice setup for defining an SMB printer;
here's the printcap:

##PRINTTOOL3## SMB ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default 1
lp|smb:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
        :lp=/dev/null:

The above if (filter script) is RedHat's magic filter, but in this
case it calls the smbprint script installed in the /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-
printfilters, after it determines the filetype, etc.  The
ghostscript/text/etc settings are in the spool dir.

The old RedHat setup used a combination of ghostscript and
nenscript to handle text/ps files.  It looks like you'll need to
install your magic filter as the if in printcap, let it do it's
magic, then send the output through smbprint to the windoze
printer.  This is all done for you by RedHat's printtool.  I once
setup manual printcap/scripts for a netware queue, but that was
long ago...  You should be able to test everything manually; just
cat the test file through your magic filter and pipe the output to
smbprint (all at the shell prompt). once it prints, you can install
the filters in the right places.

Did you uncomment the debug output in smbprint?

The printing HOWTO is also helpful.

Steve