Printing to NT: problem with smbprint

Jimmy Daresta jimmy at agape.wingnet.net
Tue Jul 13 03:49:46 GMT 1999

Hi,
Maybe someone can help me. I am running FreeBSD 3.2 with
Samba 2.0.4b and NT Server 4.0 with SP3 and I added the BSD
machine to its server list. My printer is setup on my NT for print
sharing. Well if I connect to the share name of the printer via
smbclient ( ./smbclient \\\\ESAU\\EPSON -U login%password) I
am able to successfully access it and even print. However, when I
use the smbprint I alway get a file not found error. Here is what I
have for the printcap:

smb:lp=/dev/null:sd=/var/spool/lpd/smb:sh:if=/usr/samba/bin/smbpri
nt:

Here is what I have in the smbprint file:

<Snip just including the last section>

logfile=/tmp/smb-print.log
# logfile=/dev/null

#
# The last parameter to the filter is the accounting file name.
#   Extract the directory name from the file name.
#   Concat this with /.config to get the config file.
#
TRANS=0
eval acct_file=\${$#}
spool_dir=`dirname $acct_file`
config_file=$spool_dir/.config

# Should read the following variables set in the config file:
#   server
#   service
#   password
eval `cat $config_file`

while getopts t c; do
  case $c in
    t)
       TRANS=1
       ;;

    '?')  # Bad parameters, ignore it ...
       ;;
  esac
done
#
# Some debugging help, change the >> to > if you want to same space.
#
echo "server $server, service $service" >> $logfile

(
# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want automatic
# CR/LF translation when printing.
	if [ $TRANS ]; then
          echo translate
        fi
	echo "print -"
	cat
) | /usr/samba/bin/smbclient "\\\\$server\\$service" $password -U $server -N -P >> $logfile

Here is my .config file.

server=ESAU
service=EPSON
password=""

All the permissions are set right and I even tired them set at 777. I
have no clue why it will not work. Thanks in advance!

Jimmy Daresta
jimmy at sitedevelopment.com
webmaster at sitedevelopment.com