NT and samba, passwords needed more than once

Christoph Martyn christoph.martyn at curry.de
Mon Jul 12 09:23:45 GMT 1999

Hi everybody (and especially Hi experts ;-)),

for the last few weeks I've been reading every Samba resource I could
find: web pages, newsgroup and mailing lists, the documentation provided
with Samba and I found my question asked before but no answer. I have a
little workgroup with two samba servers (RH 5.2, Samba 1.18 and RH 5.2,
Samba 2.04b), two Win98 and two NT clients. I enabled cleartext
passwords on the samba servers and did the registry hacks. I can see
both samba servers in the browse list. User names and passwords are the
same on the Win98, NT and Linux computers. While it is no problem to
connect to the samba shares with the Win98 computers, there is a little
annoyance (sometimes a problem) with the NT computers: when you first
try to connect to a samba share, there comes a message "wrong password,
connect as" and you have to retype your name and password. In 95% of the
cases you get connected to the share afterwards, so this is just a
little annoyance, but one that my users complain about all the time.
Very rarely it is not possible to connect to the samba share at all and
you have to reboot the computer in order to connect to a samba share!

As a consequence of this problem I also can only print to the printers
connected to the samba server after manually connecting to a share on
the server.

The smb.conf on the Samba 1.18 server looks roughly like this

[global]
workgroup = xxx
hosts allow = xxx.xxx.xxx. 127.
security = user
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
case sensitive = no
mangle case = no
short preserve case = yes
preserve case = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no

 [public]
    path = /home/public
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    browseable = yes
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775

For testing purposes I also set up another computer with samba 2.04b but
I have the same problems. Actually I wanted to switch to encrypted
passwords but I didn't get it to work, so I stayed with cleartext
passwords.

I hope somebody can help me.

Christoph Martyn