Samba 1 vs. 2, locking and Windows Terminal Server Edition

Jay D. Anderson Jay.Anderson at dw.deere.com
Fri Jul 9 17:16:50 GMT 1999

On Samba 1.9.18p10 and previous versions, each of the multiple users on
the same Windows Terminal Server Edition machine would get their own
smbd process.  With Samba 2.0.x (I'm currently testing 2.0.4b), this has
changed so that every user on a WTSE machine uses the same smbd
process.  File ownerships are assigned correctly, but file locking does
not work.  If one user on a WTSE machine has a file open on a share from
a Samba 2.0.4b server, and a second user tries to save the same file,
the save starts to work then after a wait of about 50 second issues the
error "Save not completed.  File rename failed.  Retry?"  Retry yields
the same result, and Cancel gives a message about the temporary filename
the data was saved to.

The same steps on a share from a Samba 1.9.18p10 server, and the second
user is warned when trying to open the file.

I'd like to be able to use some of the new functionality in Samba 2, but
this particular behavior is broken beyond use so I cannot upgrade.

Please advise if there are any workarounds, or consider fixing this
problem?

Thanks.

Jay D. Anderson                         John Deere Davenport Works
Jay at Deere.com                           P.O. Box 4198
Phone: 319.388.4268 Fax: 319.388.4159   Davenport, Iowa 52808
http://www.dw.deere.com/~hz01930  http://web.infoave.net/~jaya