Browsing only works when in Samba workgroup

Robert Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 14:40:48 GMT 1999

Hi,

We have a central Samba server which works fine.  It also supplies WINS
services which work fine.  It also builds a browse list which seems to
work fine.

However, when I open 'Entire Network' on my W95 desktop machine on
another subnet, I only see the workgroups / hosts on my subnet.  The 95
machine is pointing to the Samba server as a WINS server.

If I change the workgroup of my 95 machine to be the same as that of the
Samba server, I can see all the workgroups / domains across campus and
browse them correctly!  [Which intrigues me, since no-one else across
campus has been configuring WINS server addresses - must be the magic of
Microsoft!]

Any ideas?  I seem to remember something about Samba not supporting this,
but is this fixed / wrong?

[I'm running Samba 1.9.18p10 on a single-interface Solaris box, a new
server running 2.0.4b is going to replace it soon.  I haven't tested with
that one because it would be difficult to do so, just at the moment.]

  - Bob

  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  IT Services                                   r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.              http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~vis96rcf/