inconsistent long filename saving problem

Brian Servis servis at purdue.edu
Tue Jul 6 20:59:37 GMT 1999

Ok, I am having a strange problem.  Via my linux box I am sharing
several vfat partitions and removable media(zip drive). They all have
the same filename, case, etc. options but when the clients try to move
files with windows explorer to the zip disk the client machine
complains that the drive does not accept long filenames and asks for an
alternative.  The odd thing is the drive shows long filenames and apps
like Word97 can save long filenames to the zip, although it makes them
all caps(how do I fix that?).  Is this an explorer problem or a samba
problem. Everything works as expected to the fixed drives with no
complaints about filename lenght.  My smb.conf is attached.  I would
really appreciate some advice on this.  I tried searching the archives
but didn't come up with anything useful.

Thanks,

--
Brian
Mechanical Engineering                              servis at purdue.edu

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 1999/07/06 15:50:13

# Global parameters
	workgroup = HOME
	security = SHARE
	null passwords = Yes
	hosts equiv = /etc/samba/hosts.smb.equiv
	username map = /etc/samba/user.map
	keepalive = 0
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE
	load printers = No
	os level = 65
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	smbrun = /usr/bin/smbrun
	guest account = samba
	hosts allow = 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, 127.0.0.1

[C]
	comment = Brian's C
	path = /bri/c
	force user = samba