'automatic' Printer driver installation...

Julian Richardson JRichardson at softwright.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 13:51:54 GMT 1999

As a follow-up to my email yesterday -

I got Linux to serve out printer drivers to NT clients by simply copying
everything from the hidden share on our NT printserver onto the linux
printserver under a similar share name and then setting 'printer driver'
and 'printer driver location' in smb.conf accordingly. It works with an
HP laserjet 4, and will presumably work for other printers too.

I haven't tried serving printer drivers to Win95 clients yet, but then
that doesn't work with our current NT-based printserver anyway, so it's
way down the list of priorities... :)

I still don't know why I don't see anything in the printers system
folder when browsing the linux box, but the whole 'printers' folder
concept seems to be an NT-client-only thing anyway (it doesn't appear in
'95) so it isn't a huge problem if it isn't possible to simulate using
Samba...

cheers

Jules