bad password

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Jul 2 20:40:49 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Annette Kaul <Annette.Kaul at ger.sas.com>
carved some runes like this:

> I´m starting with samba 2.0.3 and I have the problem that I get the
> errormessage: bad password.
> The server is a HPUX-Sytem and the client Win95.
> I´m try the tests on DIAGNOSE.html. smbclient -L BIGSERVER produce
> following error:
>
> Added interface ip=130.96.200.15 bcast=130.96.201.255 nmask=255.255.254.0
>
> session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
> in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
>
> The password is correct.

[snip]

I can't say with any certainty about samba 2.0x, but my 1.9.x
server works this way:

The above command (smbclient -L SERVER) is run as guest; do you
have a valid guest account?  Also, you should not enter a password
for this command; just hit return.  I get a list of the samba
shares, the browse list, and the workgroup list, however, my samba
box is the local/domain master browser, and we don't have NT server
(only NT4 workstation and win9x clients).

Hope this helps, Steve