Help! NT not sending file to printer?

Alain M. Gaudrault alain at gaudrault.net
Fri Jan 29 01:55:12 GMT 1999

"Stephen L Arnold" <arnold.steve at ensco.com> wrote:

> > Alain M. Gaudrault wrote:
> > >
> > >I've had no luck getting NT to print to my Samba-mounted printer.
> > >Here's the scenario:
> [snip]
> > >The strange this is that if I use a command prompt on NT and type "net
> > >use lpt1: \\machine\printer", and then use the "print" command,
> > >everything works!  But if I use the "Add a Printer" dialogue to add a
> > >network printer, no go.
> [snip]
> >           guest account = lp
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >        create mask = 0777
> > >        print ok = Yes
> > >        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
> > >        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
> > >        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
> > >        printer driver = EPSON Stylus COLOR 640
> > >        browseable = No
>
> > I had the same problem. I solve it by adding line as above in my smb.conf.
> > My UNIX is Linux that do not let print with username "nobody".
>
> You'll need to create the lp account.  You should probably model
> the permissions and stuff on the ftp account (I just set my guest
> account = ftp instead of nobody).  The ftp account seems to work
> fine as the guest account for samba; are there any security issues
> I'm overlooking?

I have an lp account (lp:*:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:) already.  Regardless,
I don't want guest access to the printer, I was expecting Samba to use
the security=user setting in smb.conf when dealing with printer as well
as disk shares.

Nevertheless, for the sake of argument, I opened it up to guest access,
adding guest ok=yes.  testparm told me the guest account is nobody,
which is very similar to my ftp account (nobody:*:99:99:Nobody:/: vs.
ftp:*:14:50:FTP User:/home/ftp:).  I can correctly invoke "smbclient -L
<machine> -U%" and get the list of shares, including the printer.
Still, no go.

--
A tantot.

http://www.gaudrault.net/