Problems copying many files

jandeep kang jandeep at interspeed.com
Thu Jan 28 22:01:44 GMT 1999

we are having a similar problem, we are copying files from a windows NT
4.0 workstation to Sun solaris 2.7 station running samba 2.0.0, the
problem is that in the config file the specified number of  max. open
files is 10,000 (default) the file copy operation just stops at 1013 and
doesn't copy 1014th file and then it leads to the cancellation of the
session. i have gone through the log file and i found that in the
starting it had requested 10,000 but the available number is 1014.the
exact output is as following:

[1999/01/28 16:34:37, 1] smbd/files.c:file_init(219)
  file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 1014 are
available.

 i couldn't find out where it is coming from (may be it is the OS
setting), how can i change it? if somebody has come across such a
behaviour or has any ideas about it , please let me know.
thanks, jandeep.