Shared Memory size

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Jan 27 08:57:37 GMT 1999

> In a posting to the Samba list on Jan 13 you stated "Also because of the
> way shared memory works on Solaris I have to reboot to make the change
> take effect!"
>
> Not sure why you have to reboot Solaris. I'm getting ready to do the
> same thing you just did, increase the shared mem maximum for Samba. When
> you changed Samba did you also change /etc/system? I'm curious as to why
> you needed to do a reboot as opposed to restarting Samba.
>
> Bob Schell

The problem I faced was that the shared memory segment has a fixed key & did
not go away.  I am unsure if this was because I failed to stop all daemons -
but I am pretty sure I did.  The the other key thing I did not know about was
ipcsrm(1) which allows for the removal of shared memory segments - provided
they have been detached.  I did not change /etc/system.

So yes you are correct, a reboot should not be necessary.[Copying to the list
to make sure all know about this - YMMV on other Unix versions]