Samba 2.0 and MS Access DB

Sbragion Denis sbragion.denis at usa.net
Wed Jan 27 08:31:16 GMT 1999

Hello,

At 13.03 27/01/99 +1100, Gabriel Velasquez wrote:
>I installed samba on an Intel based Server running Red Hat 5.2.  I can
>access files on the shares I created but I run into a problem accessing
>a database program written in MS Access.  It seems that only one person
>at a time can open the database.  I get an error of "File is already in
>use" .

Access database are eclusively locked by default. There's an option
somewhere under Access that lets you open it shared. This has obviously
nothing to do with Samba.

>What are the optimal settings for accessing MS Access in a multi-user
>application?

Oplocks are a must. They can speed up speed by a factor of 10 even under
multi-user applications. Anyaway it's not a good idea to use Access
databases for more than few users. There are reliability issue in this
situation. Also this has nothing to do with Samba.

Bye!

	Sbragion Denis
	InfoTecna
	Tel, Fax: +39 039 2324054