Windows 98® and Linux/Samba

Richard Ibbotson r.ibbotson at zen.co.uk
Tue Jan 26 10:58:13 GMT 1999

Hello,
          I should explain that although I'm a home user I have
worked in tech support for an Internet Service Provider here in
England.

 Over the past few weeks I have had an e-mail discussion over the
internet with various groups of people who are to do with Linux and
Samba.  One of the more confusing issues is that "does win 98 need a
encrypted password for use with Samba".  We are all a bit confused
about the use of Samba with Windows 98® .

 Yesterday I had an e-mail chat to the System Engineer in the central
IT department at the Victoria University of Wellington in New
Zealand.  He says that all his win 98 machines won't communicate with
the rest of the network through Samba.

	I've got Samba 2.0 next to me on my Linux box.  I can't find any
docs about using it with win 98.

 Does anyone know of any way out of this ?

Kind regards.
Richard
Sheffield UK

http://www.zen.co.uk/home/page/r.ibbotson