ICMP Error

Dick Balaska dick at buckosoft.com
Tue Jan 26 02:49:59 GMT 1999

Also sprach Bob Kruger --- 05:54 AM 1/26/99 +1100

>I just installed pre 9 of kernel 2.2.0.  I am now getting echoed to the
>screen of whatever virtual terminal I am in the following message:
>
>172.16.81.99 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast
>
>This is repeated for a number of IP addresses.
>
>Obviously, the problem is two fold.  Firstly I need to find out what the
>problem is with the servers.  However, I find it somewhat annoying to
>having this pop up on the screen when I am in the middle of doing something.
>
>I also noticed that if I stop Samba (v2.0.0), the message goes away.
>
>The messages also go away if I go back to kernel 2.0.36.
>
>Anyone have any hints on how I can suppress or reroute the message and
>still run Samba v2.0.0 and kernel 2.2.0 pre9?

Add this line.  I put it right after ifconfig (rc.inet1)
  echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses

           _,--"
      //_| | \            Dick Balaska          / | |  _\\
     (_____|_|__=       Waterbury CT USA       =__|_|_____)
     _\_____=___    http://www.buckosoft.com/   ___=_____/_
When encryption is outlawed, only outlaws will have encryption.