WinNT clients not able to log on

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Jan 22 19:27:59 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Todd Bedell <bedellt at macom.com> carved
some runes like this:

> I have just installed samba version 1.9.16 on HPUX 10.20 and everything
> works fine for Win95 clients, but when I try to access share's from
> WinNT, I get a login box that ask's for username and password, and after
> entering an appropriate UNIX login, it denies me access with an error
> saying "The account is not authorized to login from this station".
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,

This has been a much-asked FAQ recently (but wouldn't be if people
read the samba docs first ;-)  From WinNT.txt (note the last
paragraph):

> One of the most annoying problems with WinNT is that NT refuses to
> connect to a server that is in user level security mode and that
> doesn't support password encryption unless it first prompts the user
> for a password.
>
> This means even if you have the same password on the NT box and the
> Samba server you will get prompted for a password. Entering the
> correct password will get you connected only if Windows NT can
> communicate with Samba using a compatible mode of password security.
>
> All versions of Windows NT prior to 4.0 Service Pack 3 could
> negotiate plain text (clear text) passwords. Windows NT 4.0 Service
> Pack 3 changed this default behaviour so it now will only handle
> encrypted passwords. The following registry entry change will
> re-enable clear text password handling:
>
> Run regedt32.exe and locate the hive key entry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters\
>
> Add the following value:
>  EnablePlainTextPassword:REG_DWORD=1
>
> Alternatively, use the NT4_PlainPassword.reg file in this directory
> (either by double clicking on it, or run regedt32.exe and select
> "Import Registry File" from the "Registry" Menu).
>
> The other major ramification of this feature of NT is that it can't
> browse a user level non-encrypted server unless it already has a
> connection open. This is because there is no spot for a password
> prompt in the browser window. It works fine if you already have a
> drive mounted (for example, one auto mounted on startup).

The solution is to open a command prompt on the NT box and mount a
share (don't forget to use the username switch) as a local drive.
You can then browse other shares from windoze exploder.

You may have a binary samba package that doesn't have the complete
set of docs (on linux, check /usr/doc/samba-x.xx).  If so, check
the samba web pages; all the included docs (as well as a few
others) are online.  You can also download one or more source
packages.  The 1.9.x and 2.0 docs are a little different; some new
things are specific to the new 2.0 version, but some of the more
general docs (such as Browsing.txt) have been expanded (thus the
2.0 docs will help even if you're still running an older version).
Stephen L. Arnold                        Senior Systems Engineer
ENSCO Inc.                        email:  arnold.steve at ensco.com
P.O. Box 5488                         www:  http://www.ensco.com
Vandenberg AFB, CA  93437             voice: 805.734.8232 x68838
                                               fax: 805.734.4779
#include <std_disclaimer.h>