[WIN NT] uppercase

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Jan 22 19:27:59 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Benjamin Scott carved some runes like
this:

> Subject: Re: [WIN NT] uppercase
>
> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Tajthy Tamas wrote:
> > I have a problem. If I create a file under UNIX (samba 1.18.xx) with capital
> > letters in its name and look at this file under NT the name become small
> > letters. Not under Win95.
>
>   This is a "feature" of the IE4 shell.  If you don't like it, talk to
> Microsoft.  :-)

Somewhere in the samba docs (I forget where) is a discussion of the
case-handling in windoze.  AFAIK, none of them are case-sensitive
(while unix/linux/etc are).  The pain-in-the-ass part comes because
win9x/NT are "case-remembering" (a silly behavior IMHO), ie, if you
create a file under win95 called "XXX-lower.ext" it will be
displayed that way in explorer, but to the file system it's really
all the same case.  I've also noticed that sometimes windoze will
upper-case the first letter and sometimes not.  Just another
example of what total pieces of crap M$ products really are...

If you use the recommended (default) settings for case handling in
smb.conf, at least windoze exploder should display the case of unix
files correctly.

Stephen L. Arnold                     arnold.steve at ensco.com

Linux:  It's not for wimps