Samba PDC with 100+ Client Experiences?

Peter Debus pdebus at turing.une.edu.au
Thu Jan 21 23:14:41 GMT 1999

There plenty of others who are running Samba with 100+ users and 100's more
who can give you an idea about required hardware. From their experience,
one can confidently say that Samba scales brilliantly, whether your using
one grunty server or many smaller servers. However, I can give you
my experience with 60 users.

Server hardware is PentII 233, 128MB RAM, 5GB of SCSI disk (nothing fancy,
no RAID, just an Adaptec PCI SCSI controller). The 60 PCs are student lab
PCs which are heavily used. The server serves documents, data and
applications (Word, Excel netscape, statistics and maths packages), the
applications being the most demanding. All client PCs and the server
are on 100Mbit network. The server's load rarely gets above 1, and client
performance is excellant, loading those fat MS applications is very snappy.

For 100+ users you, you may need up the SCSI disc specs a little, using a
better (Ultra fast wide ....) controller and faster drives, but if you're
not serving applications it may not be necessary, but then again roaming
profiles can be demanding like applications. A PentII 233 CPU would be
fine, Samba is very efficient, but 300 and 350+ CPUs seem more the norm
now days. Someone correct if I'm wrong, but you should allow at least 1MB
of RAM for each concurrent user, plus the memory required for the OS
and other services. So 128MB should be fine, but as usual with
memory the more the better, you then have more memory for disk caching which
helps relieve potential disk bottle necks.

To tweak speed there is Speed.txt in Samba's doc directory. In short the
TCP_NODELAY and oplocks options seem to give the best improvement,
there are many more tweaking possibilities in the document which don't need
repeating, the document is well worth a read.

You may need to increase Linux's file and inode table, I found it necessary
with 60 users. All you need is to add the following somewhere in rc startup
scripts. My example uses 4096 and 10000 respectively.

# Increase the size of file table
if [ -f /proc/sys/kernel/file-max ] ; then
        echo 4096 > /proc/sys/kernel/file-max
fi
# Increase the size of inode table
if [ -f /proc/sys/kernel/inode-max ] ; then
        echo 10000 > /proc/sys/kernel/inode-max
fi

You can check your current maximum settings and currently used stats with

cat /proc/sys/kernel/file-max
cat /proc/sys/kernel/inode-max

cat /proc/sys/kernel/file-nr
cat /proc/sys/kernel/inode-nr

See "man proc" for more info about /proc, it's fascinating.

There are numerous file locking options. The new Samba 2.0.0 is very
close to NT I hear. I have never had problems with file locking. The
defaults are pretty much spot on. The smb.conf
man page, the Samba source doc directory and Samba home page will
tell you all you need to know about possible tweaks. The tweaks are there
primarily to cope with buggy Windows applications.

See Linux's Hardware-HOWTO for supported and unsupported tape drives.
If you already have a SCSI controller in the server, a SCSI DAT Tape unit
would be a robust safe option.

Sources of info:

Linux HOWTOs: http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX.html
Samba:	http://www.samba.org

Deja news is great for searching mail and news archives ,particularly
usefull for specific problems or configurations.
http://www.dejanews.com/

--
Peter Debus
Computer Systems Administrator

Ph: 61 (0)267 73 2412 Fax: 61 (0)267 73 3312