Samba v's Paradox

Paul Cochrane paulc at dth.scot.nhs.uk
Wed Jan 20 16:33:22 GMT 1999

> i have problems using paradox tables (Paradox Level 5) via BDE
> (4.01 and 3.02) on my linux server, but their performance is very
> slow. At current, i'm using Samba 1.9.17p2 (and yes, i know this is
> not the current version, upgrad is planned). The configuration is
> very passive (locking for multiuser access to tables, direct write to
> disk). Does anybody have a suggestion on how to speed things up?

I've had paradox working through samba and after a lot of tweaking,
the speed was reasonable. You should always use the lastest
samba however as the old versions do not have all the speed
additions/fixes which help performance. As far as I remember
1.9.17 had hassle with oplocks which slowed things down a lot.
You should at least use 1.9.18 if you do not want to switch to 2.0
yet (which I cannot comment on as I havn't tried it yet).

Paul Cochrane         |  Dundee Limb Fitting Centre   |
                      | 133 Queen Street              |
                      | Broughty Ferry,               |
                      | Dundee, Scotland, UK.         |
                      | DD5 1AG.                      |