Samba over leased line

Edan Idzerda edan at mtu.edu
Wed Jan 20 15:25:57 GMT 1999

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Andreas Vierengel wrote:

> it appears that every 3 minutes the samba server spokes from port 139 to
> 192.168.255.255 for remote announce.
>
> How can I setup samba, that I can see the samba server from my remote
> clients AND prevent it to produce traffic over my leased lines (our
> telephone bill is very high at the moment due to German Telecom :-(

Probably the best solution is to have a WINS server on the client
side of your network, but in a pinch--try using an LMHOSTS file
on the clients.  As I recall, Windoze95 has a LMHOSTS.SAM(ple)
in \windows, which has some examples and you can rename to
\windows\lmhosts.

I don't think they will be able to browse the server that
way, but they will be able to print to \\remoteserver\printer.

- edan