SAMBA digest 1946

Philip Turner P.Turner at newman.ac.uk
Wed Jan 20 12:03:15 GMT 1999

On 20 Jan 99 at 13:18, concerning Re: SAMBA digest 1946, Stephen
Langasek wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 <Stephan.Hendl at mpz-brandenburg.nubb.dfn.de> wrote:
>
> >hi anybody,
>
> >I just upgraded to the final release 2.0.0 and got some problems.
>
> >I the [homes]-section I have to set "writable = Yes" in order to get
> >write access to my home-directory. Unfortunately this allows me to
> >delete a file that was created originally by root. But this is not
> >actually what I want. In 1.9.18p10 the unix file permissions were at the
> >top level and I couldn't do such things.
>
> If you own a directory, unix allows you to delete any of the files found
> within that directory (at least all the versions of unix I've worked
> with).  If I understand correctly, this is the problem you're faced with
> here.  I recommend that you should not expect samba to prevent you from
> doing things that you would be able to do if you had an interactive login
> to the machine.
>
> -Steve Langasek

NT 3.51 & 4 (Haven't tested with 5) also allow a user to delete files
they have no permissions for provided they have "Full control" access
for the containing directory. If that's of any relevance here.
work e-mail: P.Turner at newman.ac.uk
home e-mail: philip at neuron.demon.ac.uk
work 'phone: (+44) 121 476 1181 x 310