SAMBA digest 1946

Stephen Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Jan 20 02:17:11 GMT 1999

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 <Stephan.Hendl at mpz-brandenburg.nubb.dfn.de> wrote:

>hi anybody,

>I just upgraded to the final release 2.0.0 and got some problems.

>I the [homes]-section I have to set "writable = Yes" in order to get
>write access to my home-directory. Unfortunately this allows me to
>delete a file that was created originally by root. But this is not
>actually what I want. In 1.9.18p10 the unix file permissions were at the
>top level and I couldn't do such things.

If you own a directory, unix allows you to delete any of the files found
within that directory (at least all the versions of unix I've worked
with).  If I understand correctly, this is the problem you're faced with
here.  I recommend that you should not expect samba to prevent you from
doing things that you would be able to do if you had an interactive login
to the machine.

-Steve Langasek