PAM problem: "no modules loaded for 'samba' service"

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Jan 19 01:35:45 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Graham Menhennitt <gfm at mira.net> carved some
runes like this:

> - I went throught the tests in DIAGNOSIS.txt. In test 3, I type "smbclient
> -L server" and it asks for my password. I type the correct password for
> root (which is who I'm logged in as) and get the message "bad
> username/password pair". If I say "smbclient -L server -U root" and type
> the root password, it works.

This is not a samba problem (and it looks like FreeBSD uses pam).
When you do a:

smbclient -L server

and it asks for a password, just hit enter (it doesn't need a
password).  As for the PAM stuff, I got some PAM errors at first
too:

Jan 18 08:57:15 rama PAM_pwdb[3743]: 1 authentication failure;
(uid=0) -> dude for samba service

This crops up in /var/log/messages for every user connection.  I'm
pretty sure it's just a PAM configuration error, but I haven't
gotten around to resolving it yet.  Check /etc/pam.d and see what's
there. (and let me know when you have it fixed ;-)

Latex, Steve

Stephen L. Arnold                        Senior Systems Engineer
ENSCO Inc.                        email:  arnold.steve at ensco.com
P.O. Box 5488                         www:  http://www.ensco.com
Vandenberg AFB, CA  93437             voice: 805.734.8232 x68838
                                               fax: 805.734.4779
#include <std_disclaimer.h>