SAMBA digest 1945

Todd Pfaff todd at edge.cis.McMaster.CA
Sun Jan 17 19:50:20 GMT 1999

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 samba at samba.org wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:55:42 +0730 (SST)
> From: Gregory Hosler <gregory.hosler at eno.ericsson.se>
> To: samba at samba.org, samba-bugs at samba.org, btenison at dibbs.net
> Subject: request_oplock_break - a clue - what does it mean ?
>
> Hi all,
>
> I increased the log level, and found something very interesting out.
> I know now what causes a sbmd to go into infinite hibernation on
> Solaris. I do not know why, it is probably something Solaris specific,
> I thought that a "dont descend" would have resolved my problem, but
> it has not. details at the end.
>
> Scenerio:
>
>   solaris 2.5.1 running samba 2.0.0 (happens w/ several if not all
>                 if the 1.19 releases as well, it is not samba specific).
>
>   NT 4 sp 3
>
> On samba, create a [root] entry that looks like:
>
> [root]
>    comment = Root Dir
>    path = /
>    dont descend = /dev
>
> On NT, map the root directory to a network drive. open up [my computer]
> and click on the network drive. In the process of displaying the icons
> for the directory (/), NT will look for "desktop.ini" in each directory.
> When it gets to /net, the particular smbs that is stat'ing /net/desktop.ini
> will hang. (this is easily reproduceable in an xterm, just "ls /net/foo"
> and your ls will hang. I have no idea what /net is. it _looks_ like a
> regular directory, there is nothing in fstab to indicate that it is a mount
> point. very peculiar.)

/net is an automounter directory that uses the special -hosts automount map.
read the man page for automount and see /etc/auto_master.  this automount
feature allows you to automatically access nfs exports from hostname as
/net/hostname/exportname.

i can't tell you why it's hanging when you look in /net but the quick fix,
if you're not using automount or the -hosts map, is to edit /etc/auto_master
or disable automount altogether.

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \