NIS Password support

Edmund Gair edg at rfhsm.ac.uk
Fri Jan 15 11:07:17 GMT 1999

I am using samba ver 1.9.18p10 in a NIS on Solaris 2.6 environment with NT
4.0 clients and am experiencing password authentication problems.  Could
someone let me know whether NIS support is built into samba, or is there
only support for NIS plus.  In smb.conf, if I set password server = <my
unix nis server>, and security = server, I get an incorrect password error
message and a prompt for the correct password on the NT client when I try
to browse the shared resources.  However, everything works if I use an NT
server to do the authentication, i.e password server = <an NT
authentication machine>.

Thanks very much for your attention.

Edmund Gair (Systems Administrator)
Centre for Computing Services
Royal Free and University College Medical School
Royal Free Campus
Email	e.gair at rfhsm.ac.uk
Phone	+44 (0)171 830 2911
Fax	+44 (0)171 830 2463