Samba servers disappeared?!

Paul L. Lussier plussier at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Jan 13 14:39:04 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I've been running a Samba server here for over 6 months now will great success.
This past weekend I moved the Samba server to a new subnet, and now I can't
see any of the various aliases from Samba server.

I was previously able to see the aliases in NN across my 2 different subnets
by using the 'wins server = ' parameter.  The wins server I was registering
with is on yet another network (not even located in this building) and hasn't
changed.

I would expect that leaving the smb.conf file alone (other than the
'interfaces' line) that everything would be fine, and nothing should change.

I can, however, connect to the shares directly, and use Find->Computer
to find each alias, but nothing shows up in NN.  I understand that it can
take upto 55 minutes in a worst case scenario for the master browser to update,
but it's been 4 days.

I rebooted the PC I'm testing with, I've restarted smbd several times.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
- --

Seeya,
Paul
- ----
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Eh? :)