Roaming profiles with Samba

John Twyman J.Twyman at cst.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 12 04:15:55 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I've followed the instructions in the DOMAIN.txt document to setup roaming
profiles for my Win 95/98 workstations with great success....except for one
thing.

Prior to setting the samba server up as a domain server I had the
workstations mapping the users' home directories to E drive (right click
the share on the server & select Map Network Drive).

After setting up the samba server, the logon script & my workstation I've
now got the following problem:

My workstation correctly stores the my profile settings on the server in
the profiles share I defined. The problem arises when the workstation runs
the logon script. It appears that the workstation is mapping E:\ to the
profiles share instead of what I've specified in the logon script. The
users' home directories end up being mapped to F:\

Below is my smb.conf & logon script:

smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = CST
   wins support = yes
   status = yes
   os level = 65
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   logon path = \\csta\profiles\%U\profile
   logon script = scripts\startup.bat

<SNIP>

[netlogon]
   path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   read only = yes

[profiles]
   path =/home/profiles
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   writable = yes

startup.bat

net use e: /home
net time \\csta /set /yes

Is there a way I can bind the users' home directories to E:\ ? Can I get
around the client workstations automatically mounting \\csta\profiles to E:\ ?

With thanks,

John

John Twyman                      |
Computer Systems Officer         |
Faculty of Science               |
College of Sciences & Technology |
Room 207/210                     | Email: J.Twyman at cst.usyd.edu.au
Carslaw Building, F07            | Phone: +61 2 9351 5453
University of Sydney NSW 2006    | Fax:   +61 2 9351 5467