text file conventions (was: Samba 1.9.18 DOS to UNIX and back with ASCII)

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Jan 8 19:38:24 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Eric Sammons <esammons at geocities.com> carved
some runes like this:

> I have found that Samba does not seem to handle the ^M EOL character
> very well.  This seems to be a big problem with Windows Notepad and then
> in vi for UNIX.  Other than the ux2dos and dos2ux commands does anyone
> know of another solution or if this has been fixed in a more current
> release of Samba?

One option would be not to use notepad ;-}  There are much better
alternatives:

Get PFE and set unix mode when you save the file (or you could use
ntemacs or gvim for win32 - all are free).

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html
http://www.vim.org/

Most commercial editors should handle multiple EOL conventions as
well (ie, SlickEdit, Brief, etc).  There's a drag-n-drop win32
converter mentioned in Hints.txt, but I haven't gotten it to work.
You can bug him yourself if you like:

Jim Barry  100317.364 at compuserve.com

I just finished my first C class (yahoo!) and I was thinking of
doing just such a converter; a console version first, then a win32
GUI version (Jim, if you're still around I wouldn't mind taking a
look at your source code ;-)

I don't think samba will ever do it automatically; to be reliable,
it should be done explicitly by the user.

Hope this helps, Steve

Stephen L Arnold                             sarnold at earthling.net
Conserving bandwidth (and bellybutton lint)