Long share name

Daniel Petzen Daniel.Petzen at emw.ericsson.se
Fri Jan 8 09:50:20 GMT 1999

> I have a problem with long user names.
> I was thinking if I could use Firstname.Lastname notation also in user
> names to be used in [Homes]. We are using Alpha Linux as one of our
> servers.
> I tried it, but if the username is over 12 characters long, NT 4.0
> client (at least) does not co-operate with [Homes]-share.
> It gives you an error: "Network name can not be found"

  I think this is a more general problem which originates in the
limitations of share-name-length. When I did some testing I found that a
NT4.0 SP3 refused to ask for a share with more than 12 characters.
Example:

   I want \\samba\bloody_long_share_name
   NT4.0 SP3 sends 'I want "bloody_long_"' to samba.
   Samba looks through it's share definitions but doesn't find any
   'bloody_long_' share.

<*SNIP*>

> mail-aliases would become obsolete. Is it anyhow possible to make Samba
> as a server or NT and 95 clients to use long share names? Which one is the
> limiting one in this case?

  As I see it: Nope. However, I would be very pleased if someone could
prove me wrong.

> /Iiro Rinta-Jouppi

  //Daniel Petzén