access to printers

Michael Kohne mhkohne at discordia.org
Thu Jan 7 16:27:59 GMT 1999

At 08:36 AM 1/7/99 +1100, you wrote:
>I have a closed network (no outside access) with a small user base (less
>than 20), with no other network connections) running Samba 1.9.18p10 on
>Solaris 2.4.
>
>Problem: Some users utilize the workstations on the network as stand alone
>systems.  They need access to printers, but I don't want to create an
>account just for this purpose.
>
>I would like to provide access to the printers without requiring a logon.
>Is this possible?
>
>Manny
>Manny Estrada (estrada at oxygen.llnl.gov)
>C&MS, Computer Security and Networking
>Lawrence Livermore National Lab
>P.O. Box 808, L-231      Livermore CA  94550
>Phone: 925-422-7721

If you are using security = share, then you can set up your printers to
allow guests to use them. If you are using security = user, you can't,
because they won't be able to access the machine at all without an account.

If you need to keep security = user on the file server, but need public
access to the printers, find an older machine (an old P75, or even a 486)
and configure it as the machine that shares the printers, with security =
share.

Good luck!