Request with Tech support

P. Anand Rao parao at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 17:29:51 GMT 1999

Hi,

We are having a few problems with establishing SAMBA Security measures
on Windows NT 4.0. We would really appreciate it if you could help us on
this matter.

I had recently downloaded SAMBA version 1.9.18p10 for Solaris 7 ( Intel
Edition) and it works fine with public access shares.

Our setup goes like this.... WIN NT 4.0 workstations are on a LAN, users
are authenticated to a Novel 4.0 server which in-turn authenticates to
our Windows NT 4.0 PDC.

Recently I had to implement security measures.. so that Windows NT 4.0
workstation clients with SP 3.0 (some with SP 4.0) can see the shares on
their Network Neighbourhood.. but will need to enter a username and
password if they need to access any of them. Users need to enter their
existing usernames and passwords, which they are already using for
Windows Logon.

Now... to use this feature... I had set the releveant paramters in the
smb.conf to the following values.

WORKGROUP = < DOMAIN NAME >

SECURITY = SERVER

PASSWORD SERVER =  < MY PDC SERVER >   < OTHER SERVER >   < ANOTHER
SERVER >

WINS SERVER = 10.10.10.10

NAME RESOLVE ORDER = HOSTS WINS

SHARE MODES = YES

As I have mentioned earlier... if I use SECURITY = SHARE  and comment
the PASSWORD SERVER and other parameters... things work fine... I can
access all the shares...just like a simple public share with no security
at all.

But with these paramter set.. as mentioned above... I can see the share
on the Windows PC.. but cannot access any of the shares.... even public
ones !! If I double-click on the share names...Windows asks for a
username and password... and it does not accept the Windows
Identification.... nor the root password of the Samba server ( running
on Solaris)... nor any identification.

Note : All my Windows PCs network properties are set to login to the
domain... as in my WORKGROUP parameter.

If I enter the Root password... Windows gives me an error... saying "
Credentials supplied conflict with existing credentials"

If I enter the Windows Logon name and password.... the error is "
Incorrect username and password"

The log files say.. that      "< MY PDC SERVER > rejected the session"

Could you please let us know... what is wrong..or where we are going
wrong. ??

Moreover.. if I try to run the "addtosmbpass" script in the /bin
directory.. to add users to the smbpasswd file.... it does not work. AWK
gives me errors in 3-4 lines. Is there is a site where I can get the
corrected version of the file or has it got something to do with AWK
version on Solaris 7.

I do not want to create a SMBPASSWD file....and also... the
documentation says I don't need to... if I am using ENCRYPTED
PASSWORDS.. and WINDOWS NT 4.0 with SP 3.0 automates to ENCRYPTION..

The point is that... do I need to say in the smb.conf that ENCRYPT
PASSWORDS = TRUE... ???

Kindly do reply at the earliest...

Thanking you very much in advance and best regards
anand

P. Anand Rao
Ph   : +61 2 9425 8924 (O)
Fax  : +61 2 9415 7250