Samba, Netatalk and non-ascii filenames?

Joseph Santaniello joseph.santaniello at grid.no
Sun Feb 28 12:48:44 GMT 1999

Hi Everyone,

I've got Samba 1.9.18p10 and Netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.1 both accessing the
same directories so that Mac and Windows users can share files. It works
great except for a few problems: The first has to do with deleting
folders created by the other platform. I think this has to do with veto
files, and haven't really treid too much, but am open to suggestions.
The second which is my real problem, is how the two handle filenames
with non-ascii characters. We have lot of filenames with scandinavian
characters which cause problems because the Mac's and Window's machines
think the same file has a different name, and can't access it properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best deal with this?

Thanks,

Joe