bad password

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Sat Feb 27 00:05:49 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Nagendra Mishr <n at emailsol.com> carved
some runes like this:

> The problem I run into is that when I try smbclient -L <local host name>
>  I am
> promted for a password.  If I hit enter, I see the public shares... If I
> enter my password, I get back the badPassword message

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what should happen.
The above command connects as the guest user, so your real user
password should fail.

>  When I go over to the winNT machine, I could not open the machine without
> typing in a password (which did not work.. How could it?  It's not even
> working on the local machine)  Then I changed my smb.conf file to say
> share level securety rather then user level..   This let my winNT machine
> open the machine and see some public shares... However I still have the
> problem of getting into my user's shares.. they can't log in..

This is also normal for NT4SP3 with samba running user level
security.  Before browsing the shares (in explorer) from the NT
box, try mapping a share as a local drive in a command prompt using
the "Net Use" command.  Browsing should work after that.

Steve

Stephen L. Arnold                        Senior Systems Engineer
ENSCO Inc.                        email:  arnold.steve at ensco.com
P.O. Box 5488                         www:  http://www.ensco.com
Vandenberg AFB, CA  93437             voice: 805.734.8232 x68838
                                               fax: 805.734.4779
#include <std_disclaimer.h>