Win95 won't work with Samba 2.0.2

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Feb 26 17:27:46 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Dave Walton" <walton at emusic.com> carved
some runes like this:

> Hmmm...  I've sent a couple of questions to the list recently, with
> no responses.  Are my messages getting out?

I didn't respond because I have no clue what your problem might be
(I'm a self-taught seat-of-the-pants kinda guy with a geophysics
background, not networking or anything close).

> Since upgrading to 2.0.2, our Win95 boxes are having problems
> accessing shares.  WinNT works perfectly.  Win95 worked fine
> with 1.whatever, but now it can only see files that are actually in
> the share directory.  It can see subdirectories of the share, but
> they appear as empty directories.

What system updates have been applied to the win95 clients (I
assume they're OSR2?)?  Many of them address broken network
components.  See:

http://www.walbeehm.com/win95upd.html

The OSR2 FAQ also has some good info:

http://www.compuclinic.com/osr2faq/

> Has anyone else seen this?  Is anyone using 2.0.2 successfully
> with Win95?  Should I just bag it and go back to the old version?

If 2.x and win95 were that much of a problem, then many other
people on this list would be screaming.  The different behavior
you're seeing with win95 and NT is an M$ problem.  It's just the
opposite with me: my OSR2 clients work just fine with samba, but
our lone NT4 machine doesn't work quite right.  I can browse the
samba server from NT, but I can't list the NT shares from
smbclient.  But then, I also can't see the NT shares from a win95
DOS prompt using Net View either.  Go figure...

Steve