Printing to Shared Printer

Tom Lichti tlcc at sprint.ca
Fri Feb 26 16:24:21 GMT 1999

Hi all, I've got a weird (and probably easily solvable) problem:

I am running Samba 2.02 on Solaris 7 x86 compiled with gcc 2.8.1,
with Win 98 and Win95 OSR2 clients. I have a shared printer, an
HP Deskjet 540, connected to LPT1 on the Samba machine,
shared as HP. I can setup the printer on Win 95, browse the
network, and see the shared printer as HP on the Samba server. I
can connect no problem, and print a file to it. The problem is that it
prints the lp banner fine, but anything other than that is garbled
text. I assume that instead of passing the data directly through to
the printer, it is sending it as ASCII.

What do I need to do to get it to print correctly? I think I have to
setup an lpfilter, but I am unfamiliar with the process. Also, and I
don't know if it matters, but I setup the printer originally through
Admintool, and it prints fine from the local Solaris applications
(Star Office, Netscape, etc) so I know that the actual port and
cable are fine.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tom Lichti
Sys Admin