OT ECC Memory (WAS: Large uptime)

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Thu Feb 25 15:15:16 GMT 1999

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Denis Sbragion wrote:

> I think this may be luck.

"In my expirience there's no such thing as luck." - Obi Wan Kenobi

> I also had one customer that run a Linux server without ECC for few
> months with no problem, but it was just one.

My servers run for more than 'few months' with no problems.

> May be memory chips became more reliable in the meantime.

Perhaps that's why Intel started us on this NON-parity deal, no?

> It was also an averag report, so some memory chips may provide better
> performance. Anyway it's sure that DRAM chips loose bits, else why do
> ECC memory exists?

So people who are convinced it makes a HUGE difference will pay extra for
it.

> Supposing new memory chips loose just 1 bit a year per megabit on the

Sounds like really bad RAM. I've never seen any bits 'lost'. My
NON-parity, NON-ECC servers run for hundreds of days between reboots.

> I *always* put a saturday night reboot in the crontab of non ECC
> servers, whether they are Linux or not.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - Darth Vader

                                [Darrin]

--
"I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious." - A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753