OT ECC Memory (WAS: Large uptime)

Hall, Ken (ECCS) KeHall at exchange.ml.com
Thu Feb 25 14:44:46 GMT 1999

Granted ECC should be more reliable over the long term, but how long is
that?

I could buy "luck" if it was one machine, but we're talking about two
machines in my house, and at least one at a customer site, and they're ALL a
couple of years old at least.  (Mine are 486/80's, and the customer has a
fairly old Pentium.)  The year-and-a-half one (which I admit may not have
been real because I didn't have any contact with them for most of that time)
was an old 386-25 I installed in 1990 that got pulled out about 4 years ago.

The Pentium at the customer site runs SCO Open Server and rarely gets
rebooted unless I go in and do it.  I was there last weekend and did it for
the first time in MONTHS.

The guy I work with has a lot of Netware installations that also have very
long uptimes.

Just based on real-world observation, I find those bit-failure rates a
little hard to swallow.

Next time I speak to my associate I'll ask him about this and see what his
experience has been.  He does Windoze and Netware almost exclusively so he
deals with a lot more of this kind of stuff than I do.