Samba 2.0.2 & speed (read size)

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Thu Feb 25 12:44:48 GMT 1999

Igor Colovic wrote:
| I have read speed.txt from docs, but I do not know what are the best
| settings for read size.
| For now it is set to 32768. Is this the best value, or do I have to
change
| it. And is there some other settings
| for socket options (beside TCP_NODELAY) that can speed up things.
| P.S. Server is using 100Mbit network card connected to 100Mbit port
switch.

You're going to have to do an experiment to see about read size:
the graph below is an example of what happens on a particular machine
with 10 megabit/second ethernet.

You want it somewhat higher than the default (which is 4098 bytes on
SunOS 4.1.3 and SVR4, 8192 to 16384 in AIX, Solaris and BSD), but not
too high.
Measure what it is by default (with getsockopt(2)), and try increrasing
it
under normal load until throughput drops.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com