Samba 2.0.2/AIX 4.3.2/Slow Xfer over ~1 Meg

Stuart Young sgy at amc.com.au
Thu Feb 25 05:30:58 GMT 1999

I've installed Samba 2.0.2 on an AIX 4.3.2 box (43P Model 140 - 233 Mhz PPC
604e). It works fine (even as a domain controller) but in transferring
anything large (ie: over 1 Meg in filesize) off the Samba box to the client
(NT 4 or 95) then we get about 1 Meg into the file copy, and the whole
thing starts to crawl (about 10-20k a sec).

I've tried all the Socket Options that I dare (based on what I have gleaned
from setsockopt), but this brings no joy.

Is there any optimisations specifically for AIX 4.3.x/4.x/??? that someone
has used before? Is this a known problem? Anything I can do about it?

Current setup: Sabma 2.0.2, compiled using gcc 2.8.2 (using the AIX Linker)
on AIX 4.3.2. We couldn't compile glibc at the time (not even sure if it
will at all, but anyway) so it's not installed. Everything else is stock
AIX 4.3.2.

Stuart Young - sgy at amc.com.au - cefiar at amarok.glasswings.com.au
(aka Cefiar) - http://amarok.glasswings.com.au/

[All opinions expressed in the above message are my]
[own and not necessarily the views of my employer..]