Slow initial response on idle share

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Wed Feb 24 12:50:44 GMT 1999

Using Samba 1.9.18p10 on RH5.2 Linux.

I've noticed that when a mapped drive is left idle for awhile (OS/2
Warp 4 or NT4WS client) that an operation on that share (eg. a
directory listing) will take several seconds to complete. After that,
operations will again be responsive until the share is once again left
idle for a long period. I'm not sure how long it takes to become slow
again.

This looks like something at either the client or server is
disconnecting after an extended idle time but retaining the
authentication info, so that one must once again suffer the initial
connection time.

What am I seeing, and is there any way to fix it?

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com
http://www.well.com/user/shiva/

http://www.e-scrub.com/cgi-bin/wpoison/wpoison.cgi (Death to Spam!)