IRIX 6.5 as PDC for NT Workstations

Freddie Ng ng_f at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 16:52:17 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I installed Samba a week ago and quickly liked it.  To my understanding,
Samba can act as a Primary Domain Controller for Windows NT
Workstations, enabling me to keep a central user database in my Samba
server (which is running IRIX 6.5).

However, my NT box doesn't allow me to logon to the domain I have
created in the Samba server.  It gives me an error message "The domain
controller for this domain cannot be located."

After some research, it seems that my smb.conf file is not configured
correctly.  Here's an excerpt from my file:

<---snip--->
# Global parameters
        workgroup = STUDIO2
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        local master = yes
        comment = Samba %v
        guest account = guest
        print command = /usr/samba/bin/sambalp %p %s %U %m
        domain logons = yes
        security = user
        wins support = yes
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 65
        encrypt passwords = no

Also, since I am using NIS for my IRIX machines, I would also want my NT
boxes to be able to logon using NIS accounts.  Can anyone tell me more
about this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Sincerely,

Fred Ng,