very confusing problem

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Feb 23 18:23:20 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Hank Burton <wburton at literati.com> carved
some runes like this:

> We have a very perplexing problem at a client's location. The problem is
> simply that we cannot copy files from a PII-450 station to a Linux Server
> running Samba. The station can write to other network Win95 clients just
> fine. The station can read from the Linux Server just fine, just cannot
> write via Samba.
[snip]
> ANY HELP / IDEAS would be greatly appreaciated.

It's probably not this simple, but are you sure the permissions are
set to allow the user (coming from the win95 box) write access to
the share?  Are you mapping the win95 hostname to an account on the
linux box?  What guest account are you using (or are you trying to
write to a home share)?

You did say it could write to another samba server, right?  If so,
then you're sure the network card is okay?  What are the
permissions underneath the share on the 2nd linux box (compared to
the permissions on the problem share)?  Make sure the directories
under the share are not owned by root (I've been there, done that)
and that the user samba is authenticating can write to those
directories.

You did say *any* ideas...

Hope this helps, Steve