Large uptime

Dick Balaska dick at buckosoft.com
Tue Feb 23 15:59:19 GMT 1999

Denis Sbragion wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At 07.48 23/02/99 +1100, you wrote:
> >Now, the only thing I can think of is that this server had been up for
> >approx. 144 days. Are the problems we experienced somehow related to that?
> >Perhaps a problem with the 2.0.34 kernel? I am interested to hear other
> >people's stories running samba under Linux 2.0.x with long uptimes or from
> >anyone who can shed some light on my mini-mystery.
>
> never reched such a long uptime. Anyway I always had problems, even with
> much shorter uptimes, whenever I used servers without ECC memory modules.
> AFAIK 1 Mbit of DRAM (megabit *not* megabyte) looses about one bit a month
> on the average. In my experience uptimes longer then a week on non ECC
> system may be really dangerous.

http://www.buckosoft.com/linux/
sarah.buckosoft.com Linux 2.0.13 Samba 1.9.15p8 current uptime
sarah         up 390+19:16,     2 users,  load 0.43, 0.28, 0.17

I had to patch ruptime when she went over 365 days. (I'd like to find
a way to get that back into distribution...I surf and see a .no dude
made the
same fix 2-3 years ago)

I really lucked onto this rock solid machine.  My other two Linux boxen
are nowhere near this stable.

dik