SOLVED: smbclient tar Broken Pipe, smbclient got signal 13

Tom Schutter tom at platte.com
Tue Feb 16 20:26:32 GMT 1999

Hello,

I had reported a problem when using smbclient to create a backup using
tar.  I run this command from the Bourne shell:

$ smbclient \\wizard\backup XXX -U backup -E -d5 -Tc - > wizard.tar 2> wizard.log
Broken Pipe

When run from amanda, I would get the error message:
  [smbclient got signal 13]

I am running Samba 2.0.0 on Solaris 2.5, but I also saw the problem on
1.9.18.

I only saw the problem on one machine.  I was able to generate a
1500Mb tar file from another PC with no problems.

It appears that the problem is size related.  Picking a subdirectory
with only 50Mb usually works ok.  Picking a subdirectory with 100Mb
fails most of the time.

The problem was the driver for the Realtek network card in the PC.  I
upgraded the driver, and the problem went away.

--
Tom Schutter (mailto:tom at platte.com)
Platte River Associates, Inc. (http://www.platte.com)