smbclient slow

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Feb 16 18:31:28 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Michael T. Ledford"
<mikel at amberelectric.com> carved some runes like this:

> The problem is during testing with smbclient I am only
> able to get 9 kb/s on a put to a win95 box. I get an acceptable 490 kb/s
> with a get from the same unit. I have tried every setting I could think of
> and still the same results. I have tried socket options, adjusted
> read/write raw. max xmit, max read. I got MTUspeed off of the net and
> tried adjusting the tcp settings on the windoze box. Can somebody please
> help me figure this out or tell me what I am doing wrong.

What kind of SMB performance do you get when you just drag files
back and forth in windoze exploder?  What about ftp performance?
You should average about 500 k/sec each way w/ftp and about 400
k/sec w/smb over a 10 Mbs ethernet.  Use files of 5-10 megs for a
good average.

Which TCP/IP parameters did you tweak on the windoze client (and
how did you tweak them)?

Stephen L Arnold                             sarnold at earthling.net
Conserving bandwidth (and bellybutton lint)