can't get in Network Neighborhood - need help

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Mon Feb 15 18:33:29 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Andrei <and at lspvs.sorosis.ro> carved some
runes like this:

>  I am currenlt using samba 2.0.2 but i remember having this problem
> with older releases too. Everything works fine but no matter what i do
> (user/share security level ; domain master=yes/no ;local master=yes/no
> etc.) the windozes (win98) can see my samba server only if i do start/find
> - computer. They can't see it in Network Neighborhood...

Browsing (and thus NetHood functionality) is dependent on NetBIOS
name resolution working properly (and is a function of nmbd, not
smbd).  This means that, even with samba doing local or domain
browse-master stuff, you still need a way to resolve NetBIOS names
to addresses (just like DNS, /etc/hosts).  You will either need to
run samba as a WINS server (or use the WINS services of an NT
machine somewhere) or use lmhosts files on the clients (also on the
samba box if you want smbclient to resolve windoze boxes).

We also had browsing hose periodically due to too much coax on our
LAN...

Steve

Stephen L. Arnold                     arnold.steve at ensco.com

Linux:  It's not just for nerds anymore...